What is Stephen Ministry?
Our congregation’s Stephen Ministry equips lay people to provide confidential, one-to-one Christian Care to individuals in our congregation and community who are experiencing difficulties in their lives.
A Stephen Minister Is…
- Stephen Ministers are laypeople—Christian men and women—trained to provide one-to-one care to people experiencing a difficult time in life, such as grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, relocation, or separation due to military deployment.
- A lay person who has received 50 hours of training in providing emotional and spiritual care.
- A caring, Christian, friend who listens, cares, prays, supports, and encourages.
- Someone who will “be there” for his or her care receiver, meeting faithfully for about an hour each week, for as long as there’s a need.
- A child of God who walks beside a person who is hurting.
Stephen Ministry Is Your Ministry
You play an important role in our Stephen Ministry. Here’s what you can do:
- Pray for God to bring hope and healing to hurting people through our Stephen Ministry.
- Accept care from a Stephen Minister during your time of need. God doesn’t expect you to bear your burdens alone.
- Tell a friend, neighbor, coworker, or relative who is hurting about our Stephen Ministry.
- If you are a good listener and a compassionate person, prayerfully consider becoming a Stephen Minister.
Stephen Ministry Multiplies Ministry
Pastors will always be on the front lines of care, especially during times of crisis. But there are always many more needs for ongoing, one-to-one care than pastors can’t effectively meet by themselves.
Stephen Ministry provides a biblical solution – equipping God’s people for Ministry. Gifted lay people are trained to support and extend the care that pastors continue to provide.
Stephen Ministers reach out with God’s love to people who are hurting – both congregation members and nonmembers alike.
“To equip the saints for the work of ministry”
Stephen Ministers Care for People Facing Rough Times
We all experience challenges in life – times when we could benefit from the support of a caring Christian friend. Stephen Ministers are ready to provide the emotional and spiritual care we need when faced with a crisis or difficulty, such as:
- Loss of a loved one
- Divorce or separation
- Loneliness or discouragement
- Spiritual crisis
- Unemployment or a job crisis
- A terminal illness
- Birth, adoption, miscarriage, or infertility
- A chronic illness
- Recovery after an accident or disaster
- …. and many more
Stephen Ministry is a confidential ministry. The identity of those receiving care and what takes place in each caring relationship remains private.
If you need someone to really listen as you work through a problem in your life, consider a Stephen Minister. Call Rev. Heather Jallad 770-942-3146
Stephen Ministries St. Louis Supports Our Congregation’s Stephen Ministry
Stephen Ministries is a not-for-profit Christian educational organization based in St. Louis, Missouri. Founded in 1965, Stephen Ministries provides training and resources to thousands of congregations and organizations worldwide.
Interested in becoming a Stephen Minister? Think a Stephen Minister might be helpful for you? Contact Rev. Heather at email@example.com