We are excited that you are interested in Douglasville First United Methodist Church. We’ve been praying and planning for you. We are very intentional about sharing the love of God through a living relationship with Jesus Christ with those in our community and making a positive difference in the world. We hope that you will join in those efforts. DFUMC is a great place to make new friends.
Our Mission and Vision
Connect people to Jesus, make disciples, transform the world.
How are we doing that?
We seek to help people learn about and experience God’s presence. A living relationship with Jesus Christ brings forgiveness and new life. The ministry of the congregation seeks to extend the unconditional love of Christ to everyone. We do this through three Sunday worship experiences, small groups and classes for all ages, and through an emphasis on missional service.
We are a people of blessing in our local community through ministries such as a partnership with Burnett Elementary and Brighten Academy charter school, Backpack Ministry (weekend food ministry for kids), Boys and Girls Club, Scouting, supports groups (Survivors of Suicide, Emotions Anonymous), Good Samaritan food pantry, Loving Hands thrift store, The Pantry food ministry, Operation Christmas Douglas County, Grace/Benton Assisted Living, Jail Ministry, Pregnancy Resource Center, Share House, Trinity Soup Kitchen-Atlanta, men’s and women’s shelters, blood drives and events for our community.
Internationally, we are engaged in God’s activity in Costa Rica, Russia, Thailand and around the world through the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR), Rise Against Hunger, Operation Christmas Child, and United Methodist worldwide ministries.
Disciples grow in the faith and become more and more Christ-like through consistent and faithful worship, prayer, Bible study, service and generosity.
Here’s some information that will help in preparation for our Sunday morning worship experiences:
PICK YOUR STYLE
We offer both contemporary (11:00 a.m.) and traditional (8:30 and 11:00 a.m.) worship styles. The contemporary style offers a relaxed, casual atmosphere and music is led by our praise band. Traditional worship features beloved hymns of faith and music is led by our choir. Both services offer a helpful and hope-filled message.
The dress style is looser and more relaxed in our contemporary worship service, but even our traditional worship isn’t too fancy. Some come in business casual and others wear suits/ties or dresses. Everyone is welcome. God cares more about your heart than your clothes.
You will find specially marked “Guest Parking” spots for both contemporary and traditional worship.
- The Journey contemporary worshippers should enter the western most entrance off Prestley Mill Road and guest spots are on your right near the Patricia Tidwell Hall building. Look for the arch and wooden arbor.
- Traditional worshippers should enter off Hospital Drive and proceed straight ahead to guest parking spots to the left of the building. Then walk around the front of the building to enter the Sanctuary.
The Journey contemporary worship service is held in Patricia Tidwell Hall on the west side of our campus. Coffee, hot chocolate, and tea are available in the lobby area.
The traditional worship services are held in the Sanctuary, located in the middle of our buildings. Friendly greeters will be in place to direct you and answer any questions you may have.
LENGTH OF THE WORSHIP SERVICE
Most often The Journey contemporary service lasts 70 minutes and the traditional services last 60 minutes.
We love kids in worship. As the saying goes, if you don’t hear crying, the church is dying! However, we have several options for kids during worship times.
- A nursery is available for infants and children up to age four anytime between 8:15 am and 12:15 pm. A greeter can escort you to the nursery once you enter the church.
- Kids’ Church is available for kindergarteners through fifth graders during the 11:00 am worship hour (every Sunday except Communion Sundays). Please check-in to Room A201 (upper level of the Sanctuary building) by 10:50am. Kids will then be taken as a group to participate in the beginning of the worship service (odd-numbered months in The Journey and even-numbered months in traditional worship) before returning to A201 for Kids’ Church activities. Kids must be checked in and picked up by a parent/guardian in Room A201.
- Electronic check-in: To ensure the safety of all kids, we have invested in an electronic check-in system. The parent/guardian is given a matching sticker that must be used when picking up your child.
- All staff and volunteers have passed a criminal background screening.
Douglasville First United Methodist Church is committed to providing a safe environment for all of our activities. Off-duty Douglasville Police officers are onsite Sunday mornings and Wednesday nights. We also have a volunteer security team serving in the parking lot, the fellowship hall, the kids and youth areas, and in both main worship spaces to ensure all is well. If you sense something is not right, please report the situation to a greeter or usher immediately.
Traditional worship – Restrooms are located in the hallway behind the Sanctuary near the nursery. Exit out the door on the right side of the altar, take a right and the restrooms are at the end of the hall.
The Journey contemporary worship – Turn and head for the back left of the auditorium. Exit into the hallway and restrooms are there.
The church operates by the faithful and generous financial contributions of its members. If God leads you to support the mission and ministries of this church, you may place any contributions in the baskets or plates when they are passed during the services.
LETTING US KNOW YOU ARE HERE
We understand that some guests like to remain anonymous as they sample the worship experiences here at Douglasville First UMC. We respect that and want you to be able to do so. If you do choose to give us some contact information via the Connection Card found with your bulletin, we will simply send you an email and note thanking you for attending and offer to answer any questions you might have. We will not hound or pressure you in any way. You can also let us know you are here by texting the word WELCOME to 770-285-5600. Our Pastors would love to meet you after the service and have a small gift for you.
We look forward to seeing you soon! If you have any questions, please call 770-942-3146 or email BrettD@douglasvilleFUMC.org. Be sure to check out the rest of the website for some of the other great activities happening here at Douglasville First United Methodist. God is on the move here!